Designation: June 25, 1992; 1992 No. 2; 1992/1229 (S.
123). Original Designation Order (April 11, 1974; 1974 No 6; 1974/458)
revoked but wreck re-designated as above due to new
The Dartmouth, a small frigate or fifth rate, was built in 1655 and refitted in 1678. Her long workman-like life came to an end in 1690 during a punitive campaign in the Sound of Mull. A storm drove her from anchorage and ashore on one of the rocky islands in the Sound on October 9, 1690. Discovered in 1973 by divers from Bristol, parts of the site were jointly investigated by them and the St. Andrews Institute of Maritime Studies. The site was re-designated in 1992 to prevent further damage from the uncontrolled activities of sport divers.
Part of the site is in shallow water, and concealed in thick kelp. In recent years this kelp has been cleared around a trail to permit divers, diving under a supervised visitor's scheme, interpret the site more readily.